John H. Rushford
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- ACBA Association of Municipal and School Solicitors
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Legal Services for Exceptional Children Committee
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
John H. Rushford
John H. Rushford is a Senior Attorney in CF+W's Municipal, Labor & Employment, Real Estate and Litigation Groups
John has over 20 years of experience representing school districts and municipal governments in all areas including special education, due process hearings and federal court litigation.
On May 7th, 2020, John was elected to the Council of the Pennsylvania Bar Education Law Section.
At CF+W John represents public and private entities in matters related to governmental affairs including: contract negotiations; grievance arbitrations; personnel matters; construction issues; tax assessment appeals; zoning; planning; and development issues. John has litigated a number of employment and civil rights claims in federal and state courts and administrative proceedings. His passion is in helping clients avoid liability issues before they give rise to expensive and protracted litigation. In addition, to his municipal practice, John is an advocate on special education issues serving as counsel for both school districts and parents throughout the state. John’s experience and achievements include:
- Bringing the first ever conservatorship under the Abandoned and Blighted Property Conservatorship Act. (Act 135 of 2008) in Allegheny County;
- Obtaining a defense verdict for a school district in gender discrimination suit.
- Successfully defending a validity challenge for a local municipality under the Fair Housing Act.;
- Frequent lecturer across the state on municipal and school law related issues.
John is an active member in the Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations. He earned his B.A. from Boston College and his J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. He previously served as vice chair of the Shadylane Preschool board of directors and is a former member of the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Family Forum Board. John is currently serving a 4 year term on the PACE School Board of Directors and is also a member of the Board of Trustees for the Provident Charter School. The PCS specializes in service to children with dyslexia.